Friday, October 21, 2016

A decent opinion about texting and driving

Is this someone who recognizes possibly that police fines and “enforcement” of anti-texting laws are not the way to fix distracting driving? Forcing someone to do something with the barrel of a gun is not the way. 

I sometimes look at my phone while driving. I don’t do it in heavy traffic at highway speeds, or during snowy weather. I tried texting once, on an open road, and stopped because I couldn’t concentrate enough on my driving. I’ll talk on the phone sometimes, too, unless it’s busy or the weather is inclement. I know my limits. 

I also know that I should be 100% liable for any accidents I cause. The kid who is said to have caused the big accident up in Maine is 100% liable (if the story is right). I also take responsibility for my own life. Every action we take involves an element of risk. The question is not how to mitigate against it all, but how we balance lifestyle vs. mitigation. I often don’t wear my seatbelt (and I’m usually far more cautious driving when it’s off). I never where a helmet while driving a car, even though it’s possible that I might hit my head. 

Personal responsibility and personal liberty go hand in glove. We don’t need no stinkin' rulers. I hope the opiner soon recognizes the roods of dangers on the road: government ownership.

No comments:

Post a Comment